What to Do After a Car Accident

What to Do After a Car Accident Harbord Insurance

Regardless of how hard you try, unfortunately, accidents happen. It is essential that when one does occur, you know what to do. This not only alleviates the fear of being in one, but it also makes the entire process much easier and less stressful.

First Steps

Depending on the size of the crash, your first steps may vary. If it is a minor fender bender and the likelihood of injury is low, both drivers should move their cars out of the traffic flow. If you are in a more significant crash, you will want to call 9-1-1. This is due to the likely hood of injuries (potentially invisible), and there is a chance neither car will be able to move off the road, and the police will need to control the flow of traffic. 

Collect Information

Once the initial crash has been assessed and taken care of, you must start collecting information about the incident. Start by collecting the information of the other driver. Their name, driver’s license number, license plate, and contact info, such as their phone number or email, are good places to start. You will also need information about the crash itself. Take photos of the cars and record information about the vehicles. Both drivers must write down the string of events in their own words. Here is a downloadable ICBC crash details pamphlet to print and keep in your car.

What to Do After a Car Accident Harbord Insurance Collect Information

Make a Claim

After collecting all this information, you will need to start making a claim. Many claims can be reported online now on ICBC’s website. You can start here. You can also start making your claim by phone at 604-520-8222 if you are on the lower mainland or at 1-800-910-4222 from anywhere else.

Being in an accident is never fun, especially if it is your first time. Knowing what to do when one does occur will significantly help the situation move along smoother—leading to less overall stress. With this guide, we hope to teach you what you need to know if the situation ever occurs. If you have any additional questions about filing your claim, our brokers are happy to help. You can contact us by email at [email protected] or give us a call at 250-388-5533.

More Home Insurance News



CNS Closure

CNS (Canadian Northern Shield) Is Closing. Canadian Northern Shield (CNS) is an insurance company founded in 1985 and based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Since then,

Read More »

Explore our Ads

We have lots of fun creating promotions, and just want to share the joy! Click on any of the icons below to peruse our collection of ongoing advertising campaigns.


For all Harbord payments (except ICBC).

For more information on ICBC renewals and payments.

How do I find my account number?

You can find your account number at the top of your statement or invoice.