Canadian Northern Shield (CNS) is an insurance company that was founded in 1985 and is based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Since then, they have provided various types of insurance to thousands of clients across British Columbia.
In 2007, CNS was acquired by Royal & SunAlliance (RSA). However, RSA and all their assets were acquired by Danish insurer Tryg and the Canadian company, Intact Financial Corporation in May of 2021.
Following the acquisition, CNS returned to its standard business operations and practices. However, in 2022 Intact (Through RSA) announced that they were closing CNS’s operations in 2023. While they assured their customers that their current policy will remain in effective until its renewal period- it has not been disclosed whether they will be able to get coverage from Intact.
If you are current are a CNS policy holder, please feel free to contact us about your current policy and the next steps to take when your policy is up for renewal. Our team of highly skilled brokers are knowledgeable and ready to help you with this transition.
- Your current CNS policy will remain in effect until its expiry date.
- CNS has, and will continue to have, the ability to pay its claims. Why do we say that?
- Because this is not a situation where CNS is going broke or is even in financial difficulty.
- Because Intact owns CNS and, as Canada’s largest Insurer by far, Intact will ensure that CNS meet all its obligations to its policy holders,
- Because there are required steps which must be taken when an Insurer winds down its business and the British Columbia Financial Services Authority (BCFSA) is, and will, ensure all such steps are followed. That includes making sure that all obligations to policy holders are met.
- As your Insurance Broker we will, as always, be in touch with you well prior to your policy’s expiry date. Although renewing with CNS won’t be an option, we at Harbord have other Insurers with which we can place your valued business.
Our phone number is 1-844-544-4663 and our email address is email@example.com. We look forward to being able to answer any questions you may have!