CNS (Canadian Northern Shield) Is Closing.
Canadian Northern Shield (CNS) is an insurance company founded in 1985 and based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Since then, they have provided various types of insurance to thousands of clients across British Columbia.
In 2007, CNS was acquired by Royal & SunAlliance (RSA). However, RSA and all its assets were acquired by Danish insurer Tryg and the Canadian company Intact Financial Corporation in May of 2021.
Following the acquisition, CNS returned to its standard business operations and practices. However, in 2022 Intact (Through RSA) announced that they were closing CNS’s operations in 2023. While they assured their customers that their current policy will remain effective until its renewal period- it has not been disclosed whether they will be able to get coverage from Intact.
If you are a CNS policyholder, please get in touch with us about your current policy and the following steps to take when your policy is up for renewal. Our team of highly skilled brokers is knowledgeable and ready to help you with this transition.
- Your current CNS policy will remain in effect until its expiry date.
- CNS has, and will continue to have, the ability to pay its claims. Why do we say that?
- Because this is not a situation where CNS is going broke or is even in financial difficulty.
- Because Intact owns CNS and, as Canada’s largest Insurer by far, Intact will ensure that CNS meets all its obligations to its policyholders,
- Because there are required steps that must be taken when an Insurer winds down its business, the British Columbia Financial Services Authority (BCFSA) is, and will, ensure all such steps are followed. That includes making sure that all obligations to policyholders are met.
- As your insurance broker, we will always be in touch with you well before your policy’s expiry date. Although renewing with CNS won’t be an option, we at Harbord have other Insurers with which we can place your valued business.