Liability Insurance – Consider It Before Inviting People Over To Party

liability insurance Harbord Insurance

Picture this. It’s May Long weekend, and your friends are coming up to visit from out of town. You haven’t seen them in years, so you throw a little house party in their honor and invite everyone you know. You’ve got everything ready for their visit; the food, drinks, and even that new sound system you’ve wanted for months. People start arriving, and you’re all enjoying yourself in no time, laughing and reminiscing out on the deck when disaster strikes. Screams pierce the air as the forty people plunge eleven feet to the ground below. People lay in a crumpled mess of broken wrists and ankles.

Is your elevated deck a liability?

That sounds awful. The awful thing is that it happens more often than not. Decks must be built to code and maintained, so they last. It is recommended that decks are inspected every two years, with an annual inspection on new buildings for the first two years. Cleaning and general maintenance should be done at least twice a year. This includes gutters, drains, railings, and deck surfaces since debris may cause water build-up that can damage the surface and structure of the deck. Inspections should be carried out by certified building inspectors and are usually provided by your insurance company.

is your elevated deck a liability Harbord Insurance

Liability Insurance protects everyone that visits your home

That seems simple enough. Keep your deck well-maintained and clean, and there will be no injuries. Well, that’s not the case for every person. The Home Insurance People recommend $2,000,000 in Liability Insurance to protect your friends and family.

Liability Insurance is meant for the people who visit your home. Whether it is family, friends, or the postperson – everyone on your property should be protected in case of injury. Injuries can range from a dog bite to something as extreme as a deck collapse. If the injury results in an inability to work or a permanent disability, the injured person may choose to sue you. This is where your Liability Insurance kicks in to keep you protected and to provide for those who have been injured.

Depending on the amount of foot traffic at your home or ongoing construction, it might be worthwhile to ask your broker if additional Liability Insurance would be right for you.

It’s also important to know that most home insurance companies offer Voluntary Medical Expenses. Voluntary Medical Expenses may be used when someone is unintentionally injured on your property. As the homeowner, you can pull money from your Voluntary Medical Expenses to compensate the injured person for any time off work or cover medical expenses. This is beneficial in having the ability to be done without a drawn-out legal proceeding. Limits may equal up to $5,000, so ask your insurance broker what yours is.

Contact Us!

Questions about Liability Insurance? Looking for the perfect policy? Wondering if are you fully covered? Get in touch with a team member today!

More Home Insurance News



CNS Closure

CNS (Canadian Northern Shield) Is Closing. Canadian Northern Shield (CNS) is an insurance company founded in 1985 and based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Since then,

Read More »

Explore our Ads

We have lots of fun creating promotions, and just want to share the joy! Click on any of the icons below to peruse our collection of ongoing advertising campaigns.


For all Harbord payments (except ICBC).

For more information on ICBC renewals and payments.

How do I find my account number?

You can find your account number at the top of your statement or invoice.