We’ve found that many drivers do not understand the relationship between the Insurance Corporation of B.C. (ICBC) and Private Auto Insurance. Private Auto may be used as a companion to ICBC and to embellish and layer on top of ICBC’s primary coverage.
All B.C. residents are required by law to purchase the Basic Coverage Policy from ICBC. Fortunately, many Insurance Brokers have authorized Autoplan providers and can offer basic coverage and layering on their own extended policies.
What Is Included In Basic ICBC Coverage?
When you purchase insurance from a Private Insurance company, part of the overall policy will include the following coverage from ICBC.
- 3rd Party Liability: This is the core of the plan. It provides a maximum of $200,000 coverage if you are at fault for an accident.
- Underinsured 3rd Party Motorist (UPM): This provides up to $ 1 million per insured individual if the at-fault vehicle had too little insurance or wasn’t insured.
- Hit and Run: This portion guarantees up to $200,000 towards property damage and personal injury resulting from a hit and runs anywhere in B.C.
- Accident Benefits: This part of the basic coverage ensures reimbursement for up to $150,000 for incidentals, wage loss, and medical expenses, including hospital care, physiotherapy, chiropractic, dental work, and prescriptions.
- Inverse Liability: The final policy item in the basic coverage is designed to protect you when local laws keep you from filing claims against the at-fault individual. This is more frequent outside B.C. and in the USA in particular. It will cover 100% of your vehicle but will downgrade if proven to be partially at fault.
What Does Private Auto Insurance Provide?
Private Auto insurance allows you to extend portions of the ICBC basic coverage and add even more layers of protection. Some of the additional features of Private Auto insurance include the following.
- Excess 3rd Party Liability: This portion extends the minimum requirement of the basic coverage from ICBC. Their minimum requirement is $200,000; Private Auto will allow you to increase that to $ 5 million.
- Roadside Assistance: Basic ICBC coverage doesn’t include roadside coverage, allowing private firms to compete with ICBC on roadside assistance policies. For ICBC, this would be included in the RoadSide & Roadstar extended policies.
- Excess Uninsured 3rd Party Motorist: ICBC only covers UPM claims up to $ 5 million. This policy extension comes into play when the at-fault driver has too little or no insurance. This addition would protect you and anyone in your household, including pedestrians, cyclists, and passengers in other vehicles.
What Harbord Offers for Extended Auto Insurance
Harbord Insurance offers a full range of extended Auto Insurance through the AutoCover policy. AutoCover is the umbrella insurance policy that provides a whole host of additional comprehensive and add-on insurance for your automobiles and drivers.
Ask us about our Private Auto insurance options and how we can save you money.
Contact Us Today