School Project, Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Harbord Insurance supports Mayan school-aged children in San Pedro La Laguna on the shores of Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. While traveling in Guatemala, you will often see young children walking along the roadside with a parent and they are dwarfed by the loads of firewood or coffee or corn that they’re carrying on their backs.
The language of commerce in Guatemala is Spanish but many of these Mayan families do not speak Spanish and therefore are very limited in their possibilities for employment. With very limited family incomes, the young children must go to work in order to eat. That means that they are not in school. That means that they are doomed to work as labourers only. If they could afford to go to school, they would learn to speak and write Spanish. They would be able to work in the growing economy of the country.
This school project pays for school tuition + school supplies + a monthly food allotment for the child; our assistance enables that child to lift themselves (and their family) out of poverty. It costs about $325 per year per child and 100% of the money is delivered to the child and the parent. There are no administrative fees charged. Our goal is to fund these children through basic schooling and into a two-year career training which is available in their community.
For more information visit www.innovativecommunities.org.
Other charities we support include:
- BC Cancer Foundation, Cystic Fibrosis Canada, Every Step Counts, Help Fill a Dream, Heart & Stroke Foundation, TC Raise a Reader and Victoria Hospitals Foundation – Via Times Columnist 10K run – www.tc10k.ca
- Big Brothers Big Sisters – www.bbbsvictoria.com
- Boys and Girls Club Services of Greater Victoria – www.bgcvic.org
- Island Prostrate Centre- Via UrbaCity Challenge –www.urbacitychallenge.ca
- Mustard Seed, Victoria – www.mustardseed.ca
- Saanich Peninsula Hospital Foundation – www.sphf.ca
- The World Partnership Walk/Aga Khan Foundation – www.worldpartnershipwalk.com
Apply for Funding
If you are a Registered Charity and would like to apply for funding, please apply online.
Please note: only successful applicants will be contacted.